Q: When is a hand not a hand?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Sep 7 12:06:01 EDT 2005

On 9/7/05 8:25 AM, "Bob Warren" <warren at howsoft.com> wrote:

> For the uninitiated, "Hoary Hedgehog" is the codename given to the current
> release of Ubuntu Linux.
>
> Using Ubuntu Linux, if I set the default cursor to "hand", it works fine,
> but if I make a standalone, I don't get a hand, I get an icon which I cannot
> identify. If someone using another flavour of Linux would be kind enough to
> confirm this, I'll Bugzilla it. Thanks.

This is the same problem when using MetaCard (under all platforms I
believe). The RunRev crew changed the default value for what "hand" means
from 8 to 28 (which is the vertical splitter icon in previous versions).
Why? Because the RevIDE uses 8 for its "browse" cursor (which is an arrow)
and has shifted the hand to 28. This has caused some amount of grief for a
number of us.

The workaround is to use:

if the environment is "development" then
  set the cursor to hand
else
  set the cursor to 8
end if

It's already in Bugzilla (in many forms), see bugs #2103, #2032, #1846,
#1807. All of these are marked "Resolved" (either as a duplicate or a fix),
but IMHO, it's still a "bug". :-)

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/