detecting for how long a key is being pressed

Lynch, Jonathan bnz2 at cdc.gov
Wed Sep 7 09:49:58 EDT 2005

Sorry, I misunderstood the original question.

This script accomplishes what is needed:

on rawkeydown pKey
  global gStartTime
  if pKey = 107 and gStartTime = empty then
    checkkeysdown
  end if
  pass rawkeydown
end rawkeydown

on checkkeysdown
  global gStartTime
  if the keysdown contains 107 then
    put the milliseconds into tMil
    if gStartTime = empty then
      put tMil into gStartTime
      put "start time: " & tMil into field "feedback"
    end if
    send checkkeysdown to me in 50 milliseconds
  else
    put ((the milliseconds)-gStartTime)/1000 into tDuration
    put Linefeed & "Duration: " & tDuration & " seconds" after field
"feedback"
    put empty into gStartTime
  end if
end checkkeysdown