Choppy video?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Sep 6 00:21:53 EDT 2005

Recently, Alan Simon  wrote:

>>> I am in the process of writing an application that displays AVI video
>>> loops, each a second or two in duration.  When the video plays back,
>>> it appears that some of the frames are being skipped, and I get a
>>> choppy appearance.
>>>
>>> The playback machine is a 3 GHz Pentium with 1GB of memory, so I
>>> don't think the PC is the problem.  Could the problem be in the way
>>> the loops are encoded?

>> Do you have QuickTime enabled or are you using the system's built-
>> in media playback?

> I have Quicktime installed.  I am using Rev's built-in video clip
> player.  Even the standalone Quicktime player
> plays them choppy, so I would assume the problem is in the video
> file, not the standalone.  WMP seems to run them fine, though...

Then you should try disabling QuickTime by setting the dontUseQT to true
when starting up your stack and see if that makes a difference.  It is not
guaranteed that this will solve the problem, but then you cannot guarantee
that everyone you distribute to will have QT for Windows installed either.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design