custom icons-- ?

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Thu Sep 1 19:00:19 EDT 2005

> I’m trying to put a custom icon on an app I have made for Mac X and
> Windows.
>
> I made an icon in Iconographer X 2.5 and selected it in standalone
> settings dialog, but I still ended up with a generic icon on my app.
There is a problem with Rev 2.6 and OS X where the app when first
built only shows the default icon, even if you have correctly made
one. The solution is to zip the app and then unzip it. The unzipped
version will show your icon.

> (I had even less success with Windows. When I try to select the
> icon in the standalone settings dialog it refuses to select it
> because I don’t have the 9 required sizes.)
In Iconographer, choose "Complete Icon" from the Icon menu and it
will fill in all the missing parts. Then choose "Save as..." and
select the correct format: .icns for Mac OS X and .ico for Windows.

> I re-opened the icon in Iconographer-- no change in the result. I
> would like to try opening it in Icon Composer, but I can’t find the
> program.
Icon Composer is part of the Developer tools which you should have on
one of the CDs that came with your Mac. However I don't think it can
make Windows icons, so I recommend you stick with Iconographer.

HTH,
Sarah