Geometry Question

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Oct 30 14:16:33 EST 2005

David Bovill wrote:
> The problem I have is that when working on lots of objects using the
> geometry manager they occasionally go haywire with no way to go back.
> Any tips?

Just roll your own and move on to more interesting challenges.

While the Geometry Manager is convenient for newcomers with simple
needs, complex layouts in which object positions are dependent on other
object positions will always be difficult to handle in a completely
abstract, generalized way.

So for simple layouts the GM's 48+k script is overkill, and for complex
layouts it often doesn't provide the degree of control over the order in
which objects are affected to give you the precise effect you're after.

In my shop all applications always handle the resizeStack message directly.

For simple layouts the code is compact and efficient.
For complex layouts we have total control.

While it can be midly tedious to write such a handler for really complex
layouts, you only write it once and forget about it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal