Revdocs on a wiki

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 21:48:17 EDT 2005

> Several years ago, I headed up a project which involved an extensive
> documentation effort and this same issue was raised. I like the way
> we solved it. Furthermore, I happen to have access to the tool and a
> server where it could be deployed and would make both freely
> available if: (a) at least one or two others would be willing to
> share site management and editing chores; and (b) the community
> thinks it's a good idea. The approach we used was akin to a
> discussion board. Each section of the docs was a topic on the board.
> Everyone who was a member (and that term could be loosely defined, of
> course) could add their comments to a section of the docs. There was
> also a general topic area where people could post questions and
> suggestions about the docs in their totality. Periodically, an editor
> assigned to a given section would go through the comments,
> incorporate the suggestions that made sense, edit the topic, create a
> new topic on that section, hibernate the old, and move comments that
> remained relevant to the new topic area.

This functionality would be achieved if the existing docs web notes
worked properly. While I haven't tried adding to them, it sounds as if
there are problems at the moment. However solving these problems would
give a mechanism for adding user's comments to the docs, while
allowing RunRev to moderate or incorporate as they see fit. It also
provides the mechanism for having these user comments as part of the
Revolution IDE rather than having to remember to start up another
application and go to a web page to check whether there are any
existing comments.

Cheers,
Sarah