Revdocs on a wiki

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Oct 27 19:26:34 EDT 2005

Sivakatirswami,

Hmmmm.
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PublishPDF

Had a heck of a time trying to find that link! I think this may be a
problems with wiki's in general..navigating to want you want. There is
no 'forced' organization and as such no one ever seems to know where
everything is.

But that link is very interesting. In fact I've got a complete GUI
written around the openSource version of HTMLDOC. Currently it only
works on Windows, but I seem to remember handing off the Mac/Linux port
to Klaus? I'm not sure as it's been awhile.

In any case, Altuit's HTML2PDF plugin for Hemingway uses HTMLDOC to
successfully convert Hemingway websites into PDF documentation,
including linked Table of Contents. I believe Dan Shafer is using this
process to build his eBooks.

The problem with HTMLDOC is that it only handles very few markup tags.
So, one couldn't produce a magazine quality PDF document from it, but
it's great for documentation.

For instance:

I wrote a simple stack which parsed the XML help stack and built a
website out of it, and then converted the website to a PDF document:

It's not inclusive, but you can get the idea here:

http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/Transcript/default.htm

Question:

How would one manage 'wiki-bloat' where different people post so much
commentary about a function or handler or feature, that it becomes
impossible to navigate through? Would special 'editors' need be
appointed? If a wiki could be converted into a PDF, I'm not so sure I
like the idea of a single PDF document with *everyones* thoughts on a topic.

I'm sure this topic has come up before.

best,

Chipp