(Pre) ANN: Pattern Toolkit Gallery -- 21st century plaids

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Thu Oct 27 12:26:01 EDT 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Erik Hansen <erikhans08 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> beautiful 21st century plaids
> reflecting the Scottish origin of Rev.
>
> Erik Hansen

Hi Erik and all,

Almost correct:
The Scottish origin needs to be traced back to "Scott" Raney, the
inventor of Metacard, which is the predecessor and backbone of
Revolution. You probably know this. Scott, however, is living (or had
lived) in Boulder, Colorado (see also: website <www.metacard.com>).

By the way, creating (basic) Scottish plaids is a two-click affair with
my forthcoming toolkit:

Button 1 produces diagonal lines with color increments for a given
length of color-point sequences with adjacent vertical and horizontal
color points remaining empty. Start and incremental color values and the
length of the sequences are randomly generated or can be pre-set by the
user through sliders.

Button 2 flips the generated pattern horizontally and super-imposes it
on the original one in such a way that if fits into the "holes" of the
first pattern.

Violà,  there's the Scottish plaid!

To script such algorithms would be a good assignment for a
medium-advanced computer class.

Then there is a wide variety of ways to embellish the basic Scottish
plaid or other kinds of patterns, e.g. you could produce a gray-scale
gradient (one-directional or multi-directional) with the toolkit and
again superimpose it over the basic plaid to achieve slight changes of
colors in the plaid from left to right, top to bottom or other directions.-

Working now and then on the toolkit gives me a nice break away from
other obligations. At present there is an examination period at the
beginning of the winter semester for three weeks, and I am brooding over
voluminous examination papers like on "Progressive Education" (whatever
that means), "Charter Schools", "Teacher education in the U.S.A" (a
topic vividly discussed among my American colleagues and in U.S.
literature: whether such a type of education exists or rather should be
introduced in the near future) etc. or -  for that matter - in the
section of technology about "Structures of data systems and data mining".

After all, one of my students, who is due for one of his three one-hour
oral parts of his M.A. examination next Monday, has chosen a comparison
of Flash and Transcript as one of his three topics for this section of
the examination. He had participated in one of my workshop-seminars
still mainly based on Metacard (another hands-on workshop for the
duration of the semester is starting next week) and produced two
content-wise identical applications, first one with Metacard, then -
under pressure from a colleague for whom he later worked as a research
assistant and who insisted on a "real programming language" - in Flash.
Needless to say which was the easier part to program, but there are some
advantages in the visual appearance of the Flash application.
I hope I can persuade him to present his two applications on my website,
so we would have another actual example to compare Transcript and Flash.

So far,

best regards,

Wilhelm Sanke, Prof.
<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>