OpenSockets and multiple stacks...?

John Patten johnpatten at mac.com
Thu Oct 27 11:15:54 EDT 2005

Thanks List for all the good suggestions!

The socket calls are all new to me, so I'm still digesting the examples in the user directory. I believe the idea of having student stacks subscribe/connect to the teachers stack by creating a connection and then collecting student (stack) IP makes sense. I'll work from that angle.

I had a couple questions...

- When the a stack makes a connection to another stack, does the socket number/ID stay with the stack connection for the duration of the connection?

- What actions will terminate a connection between two stacks?

- When testing scripts, it appears that Rev holds on to certain previous actions. For example, I have been going back and forth between pairs of stack examples from the user library, and my own. Throwing around open sockets, connections, etc. scripts and changing between stacks appears to mix things up a bit. Is there a command I can throw into the msg box, "purge memory?" , that would prevent me from quitting and relaunching Rev when I'm testing scripts?

- Anyone have other examples of sockets in action, Alex Tweedly's are fantastic in the user directory, but it's always nice to see how other implementations!

Thank You All!

John Patten