revdocs

Lynch, Jonathan bnz2 at cdc.gov
Wed Oct 26 17:29:41 EDT 2005

Hi Marielle

I agree with everything you said, except the part about getting people
to contribute...

I only created that test site to get a personal feel for how easy or
difficult it would be for people to use it - to help gage my opinion
about the practicality. There is very little that is actually there -
just enough to get a sense of it. I think having one of you wiki experts
handling the hosting is obviously a better way to go.

If you see my response to David's post - I basically said "sign me up,
I'll contribute"

Regarding getting people to use it, however...

The folks here do not just answer Emails. We have seen numerous examples
of people answering with scripts that they wrote custom, just to answer
a question - examples of people working together very hard to work out
the best way to solve a problem - examples of people saying "send me
your stack, and I will see if I can figure out what is wrong"

I have done these things, and I know many of the other participants on
this list have done so as well.

So, if folks are willing to put time and energy into answering a single
question (which our list's history has proven) then there is every
possibility that they will be willing to put a very small amount of time
and energy into adding an answer (that they have already answered on the
list) to the wiki.

For that matter - it does not have to be the person who answers the
question who puts it on the wiki - sometimes the asker can do the work,
as a means of returning the favor.

It just has to become a habit - which means we have to gently pester
each other with comments like "hey, great explanation, please put it on
the wiki" or some such thing.

I do think we should give thought to other incentives as well:

Each contributor should be able to include a link to their website, and
if they contribute an original how-to article, then they should be able
to include a little bit of self-promotion along with their link.

For those folks who teach revolution, having an online revdoc wiki will
be a big boon, so we might want to encourage them to contribute as much
as possible.

Any other incentives you can think of?