OT: Phishy Paypal -- reinstalling OS helps?

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Wed Oct 26 14:12:04 EDT 2005

>Troy Rollins wrote:
>>
>>On Oct 26, 2005, at 10:01 AM, Stephen Barncard wrote:
>>
>>>Doesn't it seem silly that you have to buy all those add-ons just
>>>to run your machine?
>>

>>I don't. I have 10 Macs.
>>
>>But, if you are using Windows, you need all that stuff.  ;-)
>
>And since half of whatever's installed will need to be updated
>online, you'll need to waive chicken entrails or do whatever
>religious voodoo makes you comfortable while you download the
>updates, because during that time there are millions of zombie
>machines all over the world trying the last set of exploits on
>random IPs, and yours could be next.
>
>Many Windows machines are infected within minutes of turning on
>their Internet connection.

Good anti-malware software, frequently updated, can clean up an
infected machine, if it's not grossly infected. But ya gotta pay for
it. I pay my annual subscription to Norton Internet Utilities, just
so I can use my XP machine on the internet occasionally.

Tim