docsWiki

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Wed Oct 26 05:57:32 EDT 2005

Hi Mark,

> Could an expert scripter create a template rev stack  that would
> wikify all the existing revdocs in one fell swoop and send them to
> their appropriate places in the wiki/web structure (however that
> works for wikis, no idea here).   Just a question.  I'm sure it's
> not easy or someone would have done it.

I wouldn't call myself an expert scripter but
(1) I have already written an html 2 wiki translator for my own needs
(2) I have already written a rev application that let you edit wiki
documents on the desktop:
http://projects.lexicall.org/portal/wikipad.php
(3) I have a start of a colorisation routine (to apply colorisation
according to the wiki syntax).

That bit is the very easy part (one day of work).... The reason I am
trying to get a momentum is that the *difficult* bit is ensuring
continuing contribution and maintenance (and no, I will not do all
the work for you... I am ready to help set up a structure... but I am
not signing for the role of documentation manager for the next 10
years of my life).

For maximum members participation, we need to have a solid structure.

So, I continue trying to get it of the ground:

Somebody suggested we needed an appropriate domain name. I Fully
agree. Easy enough. Most business packages let you host or park up to
4 domain names (that's what mine do). Who would be ready to sponsor
and buy the domain name (about $10)?

What do you suggest for the name?  The following names are
available:  revdocs.co.uk, revdocs.org.uk, revdocs.ltd.uk,
revdocs.plc.uk, revdocs.me.uk, revdocs.com, revdocs.net, revdocs.org,
revdocs.info, revdocs.biz  (with xtalk, all interesting ones are
registered).
If you have an opinion on this:
http://revolution.lexicall.org/wiki/tiki-take_survey.php?surveyId=3

Many providers nowadays give access to Fantastico. This means that
any of the packages below can be installed at the click of a mouse.
The pros and cons of each package can be evaluated at: <http://
opensourcecms.com/>  (a website that gives you the opportunity to
"try out" some of the best php/mysql based free and open source
software systems in the world). For my wiki, I use tikiwiki and I am
very happy with it ). Wikipedia uses media wiki (http://
www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki). If you have any experience with
any of these and strongly recommend one for the purpose of hosting
software documentation, give a shout.

More to the point: What are the features that you believe are really
important to have in the revdocwiki?
You have an opinion, http://revolution.lexicall.org/wiki/tiki-
take_survey.php?surveyId=3

           Content Management
           Drupal; Geeklog; Mambo Open Source; PHP-Nuke; phpWCMS;
phpWebSite;
           Post-Nuke; Siteframe; Typo3; Xoops

           Wiki
           TikiWiki; PhpWiki

           Customer Relationship
           Crafty Syntax Live Help; Help Center Live; osTicket; PHP
Support Tickets;
           Support Logic Helpdesk; Support Services Manager

           Discussion Boards
           phpBB2; SMF

           Blogs
           b2evolution; Nucleus; pMachine Free; WordPress

           Other Scripts
           Dew-NewPHPLinks; Moodle; Noahs Classifieds; Open-Realty;
phpAdsNew;
           PHPauction; phpFormGenerator; WebCalendar

           Extras;
           Language Side menu appearance; Email notifications;
Installations overview

Cheers,
Marielle

--------