video, frame grab, ftp question

sims sims at ezpzapps.com
Wed Oct 26 04:26:16 EDT 2005

>Here is a challenge that I would like to meet using as much Rev as possible
>
>1) satellite TV feed to decoder (black box)  [this is a legal subscription
>feed by the way]
>2) decoder channel to input on an old Mac G4 350 mH (probably RCA video
>input)
>3) frame grab black/white only, perhaps every 5-10 seconds
>4) FTP a jpg of the frame to a server
>5) use an IR signal emitter to change the channel on the decoder via Rev
>6) auto-download the jpg on client computer to display in a Rev window
>
>Small image size is preferred, no animation, just stop action of 5-10 secs.
>Would like to use AppleScriptable apps if possible to achieve timing.
>Alternate could be an automatic grabbing utility (ala security/web cam
>software) and just pick up the file it would generate at preset intervals.
>OSX Tiger (possibly Panther, Jaguar, OS9)
>Framegrab PCI card OK or a USB ext device OK
>Sound not nec.  G4 would only be used for this purpose.

I used to have a Mac 6300 with a TV tuner installed. I hooked my cable
TV feed up to it and would use QuickTime to save sections of video or
to do screen captures. At the time I was using SuperCard and externals
provided by 'Royal Software' (I think...correct Ro?) to do ftp.

http://retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/m_power.html#6300
from 7 October 2005 has:

6300 system with TV card This has a PowerPC 100Mz processor. With
TV/NTSC video and TV tuner card, 1GB hard drive, CD-ROM, 16 MB RAM.
I'd offer this system for $75 plus shipping. Weight of complete
system, 30 lbs.
6320 system with TV card 100MHz PowerPC processor, with TV/NTSC video
and TV tuner card, 1GB hard drive, CD-ROM. 16MB RAM. I'd offer this
system for $79 plus shipping. Weight of complete system, 30 lbs.

Yikes! $75.00!

Probably not exactly what you are looking for but a cool machine. I also had
a Beehive box hooked up to that machine which would enable me to hook up
ordinary household appliances (click on a 'fan icon' and the fan in
my room went on,
stuff like that).

ciao,
sims