OpenSockets and multiple stacks...?

John Patten johnpatten at mac.com
Tue Oct 25 17:55:57 EDT 2005

Hello All...

Not sure if this is possible, but I'd like to be able to have a single stack, let's call it the instructors stack, send out a text message to multiple stacks all within a single classroom network all at one time. The "multiple stacks" would be student stacks.

I have had a look at some of the sample stacks in the "User Spaces" specifically the work that AlexTweedly has done with his "TCP and UDP" stacks, but have yet to determine if sockets would work in a implementation as i have described. I get the impression that sockets is something that can only occur between two stacks, not between one and many, or many to many.

Or, do sockets allow you to open multiple sockets in order to facilitate mutliple connections to a single server stack?

What I would like to get to is a Revolution based system similar to a classroom performance system (http://www.pearsonncs.com/cps/) but utilizing laptops and the improved capabilities of Revolution.

Anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

John Patten