docWikis

Lynch, Jonathan bnz2 at cdc.gov
Tue Oct 25 11:08:31 EDT 2005

I really like the wiki idea...

Webnotes seems great on the surface... But having the docs in a wiki
means we get to modify whatever we want. We can add comments after the
initial document. We can link to examples, related webpages, and the
like. We can even fix the original documents if absolutely necessary. We
can post examples of how to use a command, or how to combine commands.
We can also add in new pages to the docs that really should be there...

Like how to use the tab panel button, how to use tables, the quirks of
nested groups (I can write this one), and many other examples...

And we can make it such that any contributions are automatically public
domain, meaning RunRev would be free to take any contributions to add or
modify the original documents as needed. And, of course, the contributor
gets to put in a link or two to his or her homepage, in case that might
lead to new business for them.

In fact...

I copied a few pages from the docs into a practice wiki, just to see if
it would be practical and to experiment with:

http://www.seedwiki.com/wiki/runtime_revolution_docs/runtime_revolution_
docs.cfm

I think it would not be too difficult to set up, and would be worth the
effort. However, I don't want to step on anyone else's toes who has
already started on such a thing (like Marielle) - I just did it as a
test of practicality.

It would become a habit for us... When someone posts a good script, like
Chipp's windows document launching script, then the others respond by
saying...
"Hey, great script, please add it to the wiki..."

Or when someone explains how to use certain commands...

"Awesome advice, please note that in the docwiki..."

It would be similar to the way we currently tell folks to use bugzilla
when they find a bug.

And when a newbie asks a frequently asked question, we can respond by
saying... "Oh no problem, please just check out the docwiki at
so-and-so"

I see it as something that would increase efficiency across the board...
Better for RunRev, and better for all of us.