Pre-Fab Profile Set?

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Mon Oct 24 19:14:14 EDT 2005

Hi Dan,

This is excellent news. Your server, my server, doesn't matter. If on
mine, I can easily set up a password protected forum. Yahoo groups
don't have my favor either. We can discuss of the particulars in
private.

But I should clarify this. Why password protected? My situation has
changed. I have decided to take 6 months off my normal employment
(academic) to develop a few projects that I don't have time to
develop properly when on a full time job. Open Source development is
cool. But quality applications can only be developed when working
full time on the projects, at least for the design/pilot/putting
everything together stage. Some applications that meet the specific
needs of the academic community never get developed because academic
don't have the time and focus to develop fully fledge applications. I
had these ideas about 5 years ago, wrote a few utilities for my own
use, but never had the opportunity to transform them into tools
useful to my community. I am doing it now.

I don't intend to make money from selling these libraries but from
selling small but very useful tools to a rather large market
(educators, academics, in a $5-$10 the unit model). Until I am ready
to distribute these, I prefer to keep my competitive advantage (I
start to use buzz word as I am following an entrepreneurship
course :) ). All libraries will probably be made available open
source once I start getting money to pay back the development costs
(no guaranteed salary for 6 months). I am very receptive to the idea
of ransomware too (keep it close till you get the development costs
back).

Marielle

> I'd be up for that, Marielle. I can set up and host a group on one
> of my servers if you like or we can go the Yahoo groups route which
> several other Rev-related groups have done but which I find sort of
> moderately distasteful.
>
>> Can we create a working group? I am interested in collaboration
>> but not in making everything widely available right now.

--------
Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist

Alternative emails: mlange at blueyonder.co.uk, M.Lange at ed.ac.uk
Homepage