On Getting My Money Five Bucks at a Time

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Mon Oct 24 07:59:32 EDT 2005

On 21 Oct 2005, at 20:59, Dan Shafer wrote:

> Subscription models -- which didn't exist then, of course -- that
> offer, for a relatively low-priced product like Constellation or
> even a moderately low priced product like Revolution, enhancements,
> updates and add-ons at small incremental charges (encompassed in
> the subscription but available for extra fees for non-subscribers)
> seems to me to have the best promise for a solid business model for
> software, especially for developers and hard-core users. And I
> think the MaxThink model proves that point.

I agree totally Dan, most of these hybird business models (based on
open - release early / release often projects) will migrate to a
subscription model. For me this model will not be credit card based
as we know it presently. Yes many people will pay fo rtheir
subscriptions by using their credit card, but in fact they will be
buying a secure digital currency with which they can pay for small
services (lowering their transaction costs). Other developers without
the spare cash may opt to pay for the services they require by
contributing to someone else's project / product. If you have enough
of this currency you may wish to cash it in (redeem) in return for
hard currency, or simply invest it in new product development.

There are a number of succesful businesses built on issueing digital
currencies within a business-to-business environment -
www.bartercard.com to take one example (here have also been a large
number of failures).

Their are actually two currencies that we will be offering to the Rev
community - "pixls" and "shards".  Pixls are a true community
currency which will not initially have a hard cash value, but we hope
a number of developers and companies will accept for payment of their
services. Shards are effectively digital shares in a speculative
software development. We are using them internally with our own
development.

We are effectively creating a community currency for complex project
collaboration. The aim is to marry these techniques with open source
development to create and new form of business model that sits
between true open source collaboration, and proprietary software
application development. The business model aims to create a
sustainable flow of open source tools and services based on ideas
that have been floating around for a number of years (ransomware and
the task market to take two examples). Once the development costs
have been paid or a specified period of time has elapsed the code is
released as open source. The legal ownership of the market place
would be held in common by the community of developers - in the style
of Visa International - see "The Birth of the Chaordic Age by Dee
hock - founder of Visa and Visa International.

Those of you that may be interested in collaborating in this area, or
want to know more about how we are structuring this from a technical
or legal perspective, please feel free to contact me off list.