Best Update Standalone Scenario

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sun Oct 23 03:06:47 EDT 2005

Sivakatirswami wrote:
> Aloha, Chipp and Mark:
>
> Excellent, thanks... I have copied Chipps scenario to my own  knowledge
> base.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1)  How do you handle the Splash Screen-Engine-Player after the
> MainStack is opened... set it to invisible? Just let it sit in the
> background behind everything? I would guess the former, which is more
> normal UI behavior (I mean there is no Splash screen present in the
> visible GUI once the user opens an MS word document, or any Adobe
> document either...)
>
> 2) Marie Signe recently said the special folder path to /Application
> Data/ on Windows was (26)... this email say (35) ....

Sivakatirswami,

I do the same as Mark, I close the startup stack *after* opening the
regular one.

(35) is for all users, not just a single user. I chose (35) so I don't
have to deal with multiple users (logins) on XP, some having problems
launching the stack(s). Though I do have a few apps which use the (26)
one as well. It's really up to you.

Sometimes I store the downloaded main stack in (35) and user prefs in
(26) so that multiple users can each have their own preference setting.

You might want to take a look at:
http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/MagicCarpetAAA/default.htm

There's a sample splashStack there as well.