How trim?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Oct 22 17:51:41 EDT 2005

Bob Warren wrote:

> Alex:
>
> I couldn't seem to make your first suggestions for L and R trims work.
> Would you mind spelling out some example routines for me?

I've combined Mark Smith's versions, an alternate for one of his and
mine all in the following script.
Beware there are subtle differences in the results from the various
solutions presented (these here, and Thomas's regex-based ones).

The original question actually said "remove blanks", and mentioned the
LTRIM$ etc. functions in Basic.

In VB (I believe), LTRIM removes *only* spaces.
In other versions of Basics (and also in PHP, Python, Perl, etc.) Ltrim
(or equivalents) remove all whitespace characters (usually, spaces and
TABs).

So if that subtle difference matters, be careful which one you use.