database - valentina

Bill bill at bluewatermaritime.com
Sat Oct 22 07:56:08 EDT 2005

I remember when I first looked at Valentina I didn't like it because I was
moving from MySQL and was used to the many utilties that are available for
working with the database and Valentina didn't seem to have one. I am now
using SQLite and the SQLiteManager (and of course the Altuit plug-in).
Because SQLite does not have foreign keys nor the ability (with the manager)
to import and export to XML I am looking at Valentina again.

I notice on your web site that you now have a database manager for Valentina
called Valentina Studio Manager so it all looks fine except that the pricing
structure for a single user is:

$199 for the Valentina/Revolution single user package but it does not come
with Valentina Studio which is another $59 more. So we are looking at over
$250 for a single user.

Then you have Valentina Professional which is also single user but works
with all the operating systems that is supported by Revolution and includes
Valentina Studio for $300

Then the copy of Valentina that everyone would need who makes software is
the developer version and it costs $499.

I was looking for a single user version of Valentina for one operating
system with  the essential manager (Valentina Studio) for like $90 and then
when I am ready to sell my program to someone else or need mult-user then I
fork over more money.

I wish Paradigm would consider an entry level price which includes the
Valentina Studio -- call in the "Valentina Amatuer Database Programmer
Package" or something.

On 10/22/05 3:02 AM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> On 10/22/05 12:49 AM, "Chipp Walters" <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:
>
> Hey guys.
>
> Pascal asks for NON-SQL database.
>
> Pascal, I believe that exists only one database for Revolution that fit your
> needs -- Valentina database.
>
> * Valentina support both: SQL and non-SQL ways to work with database.
>
> * Valentina is 100-1000 times faster of 4D and FileMaker. Yes this is NOT
> typo.
>
> * I know 4D very good, we have meet with Laurent (developer of 4D) few years
> ago to talk about database development...We was glad to see that our engines
> have many similar ideas.
>
> For example, you will find in Valentina ability to work with Sets of
> selected records. In the same time you can be sure that Valentina will offer
> you even more powerful API that 4D do.
>
> * Valentina support Relational Model, but in fact Valentina provide
>     Object-Relational model. You can use features that add you
>     - speed and easy in development of db structure.
>     - speed in runtime execution
>
> Even more correct: if you aware of old good Navigational model, then
> Valentina give you greatly improved Navigational model which we name as
>     Object-Relational now.
>
> A lots of things to talk here. :-)
>

>> Hi Pascal and welcome to Revolution!
>>
>> A long time ago, one of the developers of Rev was interested in such an
>> animal and thought it could be programmed by combining SQLite with Rev.
>> Unfortunately, the project never got off the ground, but our company
>> does have a very nice SQLite connector which can do such work.
>>
>> If you're interested, there's a great (and easy) demo of it at:
>>
>> http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/altSQLiteCover/default.htm
>>
>> Pascal wrote:
>>
>>> I'm a french newbie who once wrote stacks with HyperCard and Talk.
>>> I think I could try Revolution, but my interest now is in databases (I
>>> mean relational database without using SQL.) and  I'm looking for, and
>>> not finding any example of databases build with Revolution. I mean
>>> something that looks like a FileMaker or a 4D product.
>>> Is ther any example on Revolution web site, or other ?

            |    |    |
           )_)  )_)  )_)
          )___))___))___)\
         )____)____)_____)\\