Constellation

Jerry Daniels jerry at daniels-mara.com
Fri Oct 21 12:33:16 EDT 2005

Ben,

When I first got the urge to write another script editor
(Constellation), I discussed it with Chipp Walters, Chris Bohnert,
and Dan Shafer. I also chatted with Richard Gaskin about it. The
first part of that conversation centered around doing Constellation
as an open source project.

I think you are right about the nature of team work in the Rev
environs, but also the nature of the Rev developer is part of the
reason that we don't have a "traditional" open source movement within
our community. Developers normally disagree on UI, but Rev developers
disagree on UI and workflow both. I think this is because we are Mac,
Windows and Linux users. This makes collaborating difficult. You have
to have a tall dog in the group to say: "This is the way we're going
to do it."

And then there's the part you highlighted: the technical nuts and
bolts of versioning, for which there are tools (Chipp's Magic Carpet,
for one). I think it may be the non-coding part of team work that
gums up the works IMHO. One way around that is for one person to take
a project to a certain point where a commitment has been made as to
direction and then the following becomes less like herding cats. The
"Burn the boats!" approach it's sometimes called.

That's kind of what I thought I'd do with Constellation. Get it going
and then call in reinforcements. My initial focus group didn't think
it was a realistic idea due to the size of the Rev developer customer
base and because the technology itself was not "mainstream" enough or
the "darling" of the right group of techies. I think they were right.

We do have our own way of doing things "openly" though, and it seems
to work. My code is not locked, for instance, and most other Rev
commercial products aren't either. I have bought product from Key Ray
and Chipp. Any time I have a project where I am getting paid, I'm
more than happy to allocate some of the project money to code,
libraries and products that make a specific contribution to the
project. As someone said before...we exchange money with each other a
lot.

Also, in open source environs, SOMEBODY puts up some money SOMEWHERE.
IBM, for example, pays a lot of people to contribute to the open
source community because it is in its best interests. Others donate
time because they know they will get speaker or consultant fees for
the knowledge they will accrue in the process of working for "free."
I think you get my drift here.

I think the way we're doing it is good, but at some point, the
idealogical, technical and market forces WILL converge or become
favorable enough to support a more traditional open source movement
that includes Transcript and/or Revolution.

SO...it's good you bring it  up. Maybe that day of convergence is today.

Best,

Jerry

http://www.daniels-mara.com/products/constellation.htm
Scripts and properties in a tabbed editor! Video tutorials!