AW: Revolution back to HyperCard

Ben Fisher jamon.ben at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 20:13:08 EDT 2005

> I was wondering if somebody knew or could provide a very simple XCode
> project of an external function that I could use as a starting point (some
> kind of "Hello World!" would do). For now I ended up with a project that
> compiled a bundle, but when I set my externals to that bundle the function
> was not recognized (the externalFunctions is empty).

A Windows user, I too was in this situation a long time ago. I was fairly
adept at C but couldn't get the Externals SDK to compile, or to be
recognized by Revolution. Finally, with some help from others I was able to
start writing externals. (The so-called Externals SDK is an incomprehensible
jumble of information that probably just confuses people when none of the
sample code will compile.)
I think a true "how-to" kit for externals would be a real benefit to the
Revolution community. If I had more time, I would definitely volunteer to
write the Windows part of this kit. This kit would be targeted towards
people who do have at least some C/C++ experience. E-mail me at
jamon.ben at gmail.com if you would like to assist me.
 I hope everyone understands that externals are not a "magic bullet" that
takes your Transcript code and magically makes it run faster. Externals are
typically written in C or C++, and these languages have none of the
"user-friendliness" of Transcript. The syntax is nearly 100% different than
Transcript and the code must be compiled.

-Ben Fisher