Open source collaboration [WAS: Re: Rev vs. AJAX... Ajax vs TAOO]

David Bovill david at openpartenrship.net
Tue Oct 18 16:42:39 EDT 2005

On 18 Oct 2005, at 19:44, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Is the desire for such a tool prevalent enough to translate into a
> working tool?

Well due to the lack of "stack granularity" in my work - it is a
little hard to share right now - but the tools were actually built a
couple of years ago. Right now like you I see the problem as a mix of
"social" but also "tool level". So the first tasks for me are:

     1) Get a few people working and and maintaining the same wiki
     2) Integrating the wiki into the Rev environment
     3) Getting the social and business incentives right - see
"ransom" discussion earlier on the list.

Given that i guess the CVS / subversion tools with the object /
handler chunking would have something to be built upon. This
effectively means building a "market mechanism" for re-useable
components - stacks and more granular if needed. The focus is to
reduce the cost (in terms of productivity as well as real cash) for
aquiring and using these components.

The idea is to use a secure digital currency that you can earn and
use to pay others to work on your projects. You would be able to buy
and possibly later sell this currency, if you did not have the time
to earn it. When the ransom for a feature / component was paid the
resulting code would be released open source.