OT: Mac Mail structure

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 06:43:45 EDT 2005

I'm going to try to write a Rev app to fill a functional gap in
Apple's Mail client (the annoying fact that you can't at a glance
distinguish recently arrived emails from ones that came in to the
same mailbox earlier but were left unread).  Probably the natural way
to do this is with AppleScript, but I don't know AppleScript, and
from what I've seen it's quite unintuitive in the way it interacts
with the API of the OS. Anyway...

to do this without scanning an enormous number of messages each time,
I think I need to be able to read the 'table_of_contents' and/or
'content_index' files which appear in each mailbox. Can anyone
suggest how I can find out the format for these - it sure ain't
simple text.

TIA

Graham