OT: Looking for a cheap web hosting ISP

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Thu Oct 20 02:07:01 EDT 2005

On Oct 20, 2005, at 3:49 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Dan Shafer wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I think it's the same problem, Andre.
>>

> I currenlty use an ISP that maintains a server farm preconfigured
> specifically for Rev CGI.  So while I'll stay there for now, this
> does raise a MUCH bigger question for those of us looking to sell
> server-side solutions:
>
> Can Rev be compiled in such a way that it doesn't need the GUI libs
> while running as a CGI?

Richard,

the problem I quoted is not related to the GUI libraries but related
to the standard C library... If you run 'ldd mc' you'll see what
libraries the metacard engine is linked to, for example

-jailshell-2.05b$ ldd mc
         linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
         libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x00341000)
         libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x4cba8000)
         libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x4cc72000)
         libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0x00347000)
         libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x00223000)
         /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x0020a000)

There you see libc.so.6... the problem in Dans webhost is a wrong
version of libC, if he uses ldd then search for the file, he'll not
find it... the server is using an older version of libC, he is
probably using GLIB2.2 and needs 2.3...

If you execute libc.so.6 you receive further information like:

-jailshell-2.05b$ /lib/libc.so.6
GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.3, by Roland McGrath et al.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Compiled by GNU CC version 3.3.3 20040412 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.3-7).
Compiled on a Linux 2.4.20 system on 2004-10-28.
Available extensions:
         GNU libio by Per Bothner
         crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
         linuxthreads-0.10 by Xavier Leroy
         The C stubs add-on version 2.1.2.
         BIND-8.2.3-T5B
         NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk
         Glibc-2.0 compatibility add-on by Cristian Gafton
         GNU Libidn by Simon Josefsson
         libthread_db work sponsored by Alpha Processor Inc
Thread-local storage support included.
<http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/bugs.html>.

I do think he's running 2.2 or older and for that reason cannot run
rev... (will run older rev versions though)

cheers
andre