A New and Frustrated User

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 18:43:08 EDT 2005

> I have been advised to contact yourselves for assistance in this matter.  I have recently purchased the enterprise edition of Revolution and trying hard to get to grips with scripting.  I feel that I am making progress, but my main area of concern is working with a database.
>
> Can I be so bold as to ask someone to write a very short program for me so that I can see how all this scripting is put into place.  An ideal example would be for a personal record (Name, Address & Telephone) created using Microsoft Access, and then Revolution used to add new records to the database.  Revolution used to search for a particular record and Revolution used to edit an existing record.  These routines would clearly assist me in how these basic scripts are put together.

Hi Steve & welcome to the Revolution!

While teaching myself MySQL, I wrote a test stack that you may find
useful. It doesn't use the Database Query builder, but uses the direct
database commands to connect to a database, read tables & table
structures, read records, add, edit & delete etc.

<http://www.troz.net/Rev/tutorials/MySQLtests.rev.gz>

It does not have a very neat interface as it was designed as a
learning stack for me, but if you examine the scripts, you will get
some ideas about how things can be done.

As I mentioned, I used it with MySQL, but I think if you edit the
"connect" button, you can set it to connect to an ODBC source like
Access instead.

Having said all that, databases are a complex thing requiring
Revolution to interface with external sources, which leaves plenty of
scope for problems. As a new user, you might be better trying
something simpler at first, until you are more familiar with
Revolution's own capabilities.

HTH,
Sarah