Constellation's Great, But the Rev IDE Doesn't Suck

Jerry Daniels jerry at daniels-mara.com
Tue Oct 18 19:16:49 EDT 2005

Friends and neighbors...

First I want to thank all the folks who are voicing their excitement
about the products from Daniels & Mara--mostly Constellation at this
point. We've listened to suggestions and like to try different
approaches to problem solving. We have had a much longer pre-release
period than I ever thought possible, because we got so many great
recommendations and ideas from the early adopters.

I wanted to say a few words about debugging a debugger (without a
debugger) and tracking breakpoints.

When you're writing a script editor that lets you set breakpoints,
you quickly realize: very script could have breakpoints and every
user action could necessitate changing them. That means every time
someone types a char, as the developer of the script editor, you have
to be ready to update where the breakpoints should NOW be. If you
test for EVERYTHING, your editor will be hard to type in due to
performance issues. And what about undo or cut or paste? It seems
like a life's work to get the right balance. Not easy.

Break Points Part Deux

We found the Rev engine had difficulty "coming back" from a "Step
Into" another handler. So I created "ghost breakpoints" just on the
other side of every handler call, in the event the user when down a
rabbit hole into that other handler that was being called. The ghosts
kept my debug session alive after the engine had given up. Since they
were "ghosts" the user couldn't see them--that's the fun part about
having your own script editor. The current Rev script editor has to
deal with these same anomalies from the engine.

After a couple hundred test cycles and hundreds of suggestions on
design and UI, I have decided that no two people want the same IDE.
The diversity is staggering and heartening at the same time. I
decided to enjoy the process of change and forget about having the
perfect product or being the perfect programmer. Constellation
evolves...as do we all with or without our consent or vote.

Luckily, I'm like Andre...some times I just like to open up
Constellation and look at it!

Best,

Jerry

http://daniels-mara.com/products/constellation.htm