OT: Wikis

chris bohnert chris at altuit.com
Tue Oct 18 15:06:22 EDT 2005

Hi Ruslan,

I think you've glossed over the technical issues with the SQLite engine
simply to imply that "professionals" don't use sqlite.  So to that end
here's a list of projects using sqlite:

<http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=SqliteUsers>

and for users who truly are interested in when to use SQLite in their
projects  i recommend

<http://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html>

Is sqlite perfect for everything, *no*.  Its strengths are similar to
RunRevs.  It is best used for embedded cross-platform applications
where  traditional client-server solutions are not available and in
instances where simple administration, low maintenance and zero setup
are a requirement.  Real world performance measures are no secret
they're posted on the sqlite website at http://www.sqlite.org as well as
techniques for optimizing sqlite specific issues and general bad schema
design.  Its also a phenomenal tool for new users just getting their
feet wet with SQL and interested in strong community support.

Where SQLite truly shines though is in the portability of data and the
vast language support.  The altSqlite plugin may only work on PC/Mac/
and Linux, but the actual sqlite database file is completely
independent.  It can be created on any of the vast number of platforms
that support sqlite and transferred to a mac or pc and read without a
problem.  It supports sundry languages from Ada to REXX and SmallTalk.
Heck, RealBasic liked it so much they made it their default database and
bought a company specializing in it.

To me, this is the definition of a professional enterprise tool;
something I can use in an extremely heterogenous envirnoment to perform
a task or solve a problem without fear that I've locked my customer into
the migrational whims of a single vendor.

all the best
Chris Bohnert
Altuit, Inc.