Constellation's Great, But the Rev IDE Doesn't Suck

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Oct 18 11:36:56 EDT 2005

>True and the real value of Rev is that the tools are built in the
>language so we can enhance the core product - the more contributions
>like Lord Daniels the better!
>
>On 18 Oct 2005, at 01:15, Dan Shafer wrote:
>
>>A couple of you were kind enough to point out that in my exuberant
>>endorsement of Jerry Daniels' wonderful Constellation Rev IDE, I
>>came off sounding a bit like the built-in, out-of-the-box Rev IDE
>>was a piece of crap. Let me set the record straight. It's
>>wonderful. It has flaws and rough edges and quirks that sometimes
>>confuse newbies and even oldies. But it's still really a great
>>product.

As a production tool to be used by professionals it sucks a fair bit
in my opinion! Other development environments suck too or did during
their evolution anyway. For instance a lot of CodeWarrior releases
had the same old bugs in them release after release, some of them
were not fixed for years. Yet the latest version always had loads of
new features. I see this mirrored in RunRev too.

I mean I've been using RunRev now for about 2 years, but still:

1.  The debugger refuses to obey breakpoints.
2.  The documentaion is still poor.
3.  It crashes or causes me to ForceQuit at 3 times a day on average
when I am using it full time for development.
4.  Windows in the IDE never open where you left them, especially
when you have 2 monitors.
5.  The Script Editor does beswick at least 3 times a day, forcing me
to restart RunRev.

There are loads more like this, but these are the things that really
get my goat. I reckon I waste at least an hour a day fighting IDE
and/or Documentation problems.

Having said all that, it's still a good environment but it could be
much better. I just wish they would do a major IDE bug fix release,
especiallly with the Debugger. Putting this ahead of adding any new
features.

All the Best
Dave