Rev vs. AJAX...Or Web-Aware Apps vs. Web Apps

Todd Geist tg.lists at geistinteractive.com
Sat Oct 15 12:16:16 EDT 2005

Inspiring!

On 10/15/05 12:22 AM, "Judy Perry" <jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu> wrote:

> The more that we actively discourage 'thinking outside of the box' (or
> even thinking at all), the more we damn ourselves to the present and its
> limitations.

And then Scott countered with,

On 10/15/05 1:17 AM, "Scott Rossi" <scott at tactilemedia.com> wrote:

> IMO, the use of templates/themes is not an attempt to discourage thinking
> outside the box.  It is an attempt to illuminate the fact that there is, in
> fact, a box present, which has certain properties and rules, and one must
> learn the limitations of the box before one can learn to think outside it.
>
> What you may see as "dumbing down", others may see as education.

I have studied Japanese Martial  Art of Aikido for over 12 years. My
teachers used various kata and exercises (movement templates) to teach us
the basic concepts and principles of martial movement. They taught us very
precise movements, re-enforcing them through practice and demonstration.

BUT they also always told us that someday we must forget everything we had
learned and create our own Aikido.  That was the goal.  BUT first we had to
fully absorb the principles of Aikido. If we tried to think out side the box
too early or too much, we would not understand what were doing and risked
injuring ourselves or lour training partners.

My teachers always complained that we either to tied to the templates OR
that we were forgetting the principles. Or put another way we either saw the
Templates as the Goal or we didn't know what the !@#@$ we were doing.

I see this very much the same way.  The danger of templates is that people
see them as the goal and don't think outside the box.  And not having
Templates  makes it very hard for people to learn about the box, which makes
it very hard to step out side of it.

So like many important questions that face humans on a daily basis, The
answer to the question "are template GOOD or BAD" is...

YES!

Todd

--

Todd Geist