AJAX... and Ruby on Rails are no match for Rev unplugged!

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Sat Oct 15 04:22:50 EDT 2005

After reading some comments on ruby on rails

it's not just the difference in language niceties compared to
their parent languages that makes them preferable to rev for
those guys...

It's also the fact that they make web-development easier.

With the help of the old cgi system in metacard, I wrote an
html tagging system to create forms and web pages based on
dynamic content retrieved with shell calls encapsulated in a
modular mt file.

opentable
closetable

openform
writebutton

etc...

pulling information further from rev stacks is not hard and
it's all in xtalk. In the long run it was far easier to make
and use MC's guis... Web things are, well, not so dynamic
and interaction friendly imoho...

If we wrote a cms system like tiki wiki in a revplayer stack,
put it's contents and script updates into a cgi bin, wouldn't
we have a certain attractive xtalk solution for the slashdot
crowd?

One the other hand, if we showed that via html you could
download a Rev client that runs web or cgi code, it would be
as intersting for the secure minded web transactions many use
today... And rev stacks are harder to hack maybe but above all
it's multiplatform...

We can go places java and flash can't go for many business uses.
We have as many features as web clients. But we can go offline
and they can't really...

Ajax also seems to download on demand, but no net connection, no
ajax... Am I wrong?

viva la Revolution!
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com/taoo