Simplifying the TAOO Explanation

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Fri Oct 14 23:38:46 EDT 2005

Xavier........

> copy paste... done... no programming
> involved... Is that OOP reuse or what?

That's where one disconnect is for me. Copy-paste-done is not OO
programming or reuse. OO programming and reuse would be more like
create-subclass-specialize...done. In a copy-paste world if I change
the original object, I have to find all of the places I've deployed
copies of this group and change all of them as well. Or did I miss
something again?

> if it is
> not clear to you or many others, I must be doing something wrong...
> but if I
> really enjoy it's benefits since 15 years, how can I be so wrong?

It is not necessarily that you are wrong, only that you are perhaps
so close to it that you can no longer simplify an explanation of it.

Let's try a thought experiment. Let's assume I've created a new group
that has a button, a text field, and an option menu. The option menu
contains as its entries the colors "red", "blue" and "orange." It has
a script that changes the backcolor of the button when it is clicked.
The button has a script that puts its backcolor into the field.
Pretty simple and admittedly useless group. Assume further that it
has other functions and capabilities beyond those on which we are
focused.

We'll call this group colorbuttongroup. It exists on card 1 of my
stack and its backgroundbehavior is off. On card 2 of this same
stack, I'd like a control similar to colorbuttongroup except that
this one that deals with and reports the forecolor of the button. In
Smalltalk or some other OO environment, I'd subclass colorbuttongroup
and override the two methods that deal with the color. How would I do
this in TAOO in a reusable way so that if I ever change some other
behavior of the colorbuttongroup object in the future, the behavior
of the newly created group will also be modified but without any
effort on my part and without losing the specialized behavior of the
overridden methods?

That's about as simple an example as I can make, I think, to
illustrate how I try to think of TAOO and find myself frustratedly
unable to do so.

http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html