Rev vs. AJAX... Ajax vs TAOO

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Fri Oct 14 07:55:16 EDT 2005

Hi Alex

use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com wrote on 14/10/2005 12:56:50:

> xbury.cs at clearstream.com wrote:
>
> >Did Linus write the help first or the code for linux before people
started

> >collaborating with him? Did people ask him "what is it for?"
> >

> No, first thing he had was an "elevator pitch". In his case, he didn't
> need to create it specifically as an elevator pitch - but what he had
> was a simple, 30-50 second description of what he was doing that was
> understandable to almost any potential collaborator.
>
> "I'm doing an open-source, freely licensed version of Unix - it will be
> library and API compatible so all your code, shell scripts and general
> usage will work on it."
>
> TAOO doesn't, as far as I know, have that.

That's the first line on my website!!!

http://monsieurx.com/TAOO also has that as front story...

and there's the documentation...

> I've not managed to get a
> good "feel" for what TAOO does, or what it would be like to use, or how
> it would change the everyday tasks to be done in developing an app using

> TAOO. And I can't go download something and try it out .... which you
> could do with Linux a long time before it was really "done".

strange i did put out more than one example made with TAOO's parts.
Tried to describe it in few words...

When i made a documentation stack - nobody found it useful. I said at one
point that it was an
example - and people still didn't see it... I can't tell you how lost i am
at that point!

Nor did i ever hear you ask "how it should feel"...

> I suspect that's largely because of the second reason - Linux was an
> incremental project, that most people became familiar with somewhat
> early on. TAOO has been going for years, so it's already a big,
> multi-faceted, multi-tentacled "thing" - and so is much harder to
> describe. It's difficult (if not impossible) for you to extract a
> "bite-sized chunk" of it to complete (i.e. get out of beta, release it,
> maybe even partly document it and thereby attract co-developers and
> users), because doing so would lose one of its primary current benefits
> to you, namely its completeness.

And the few examples available in Monsieurx's downloads are "useful" yet
independent tools
of the whole (they get better with the rest but they work without the
other tentacles!

Yet hardly anyone comments or does send feedback... So i dont update to
get more rants and
less comments - granted but still...

How should it feel? Faster, more featured - but absolutely non-different!
GUI-regardless ;)

Thanks for your comments...

Something more about ajax that's interesting business-wise...
http://computerbusinessreview.com/article_news.asp?guid=EB771D64-F33F-4504-A6DB-7417D22CB379

>  I wish I could tell you how to resolve that problem, but I'm afraid I
> can't ....

You have so far! Keep trying... What i really dont get is why some lame
projects get praise while hard-work projects get none...

cheers
Xavier

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER