Rev vs. AJAX...Or Web-Aware Apps vs. Web Apps

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Thu Oct 13 16:54:38 EDT 2005

Andre......

I've been doing a LOT of thinking and analysis and research and
investigation the past two weeks on this topic, so your post
triggered in me a thought that perhaps I should share some of my
conclusions with this group.

I am acutely aware of Richard Gaskin's wonderful thinking in his
essay, "Beyond the Browser", as I write these thoughts. (URL: http://
www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/netapps.html) And I want to say
at the outset that my thoughts are still forming, so none of this is
conclusion so much as it is interim feeling.

Given that one knows how to program reasonably proficiently in Rev
and given Rev's superb ability to interact with the Internet in many
different ways, why in the world would one want to learn, master or
use techniques that deploy applications inside the Web browser? That
question's been on my mind a lot lately. I have lost two projects in
the past six months because I insisted on using Rev for them. In one
case, only Java would have actually satisfied the client and since
I'm entirely too old to learn Java (or, for that matter, to wait for
Java apps to compile), but the other one would have been mine if I'd
been willing to write it in anything viewed by the client as
standard. That by itself isn't enough reason to change tools.

Another client for whom I've written three relatively large apps in
Rev has been advised by his new CEO to require me to rewrite them in
some more standard language or tool/environment. He may not listen to
the advice but he has raised the interesting question of what happens
if I (his language) "get stomped on by a dinosaur". Even though the
apps would keep running, of course, finding programmers to maintain
and extend them would be significantly more difficult than with, say,
Basic or Java or C++ (which I will never learn). Or, for that matter,
JavaScript/XML.

So one reason to investigate alternative development tools and
languages is just the whole issue of critical mass of programming
talent and deployment options.

Another upside to doing Web apps in AJAX or some other open tool (my
current favorite being Laszlo - URL: http://www.laszlosystems.com and
http://www.openlaszlo.org) is that *all* of the issues of cross-
platform delivery just go away. Yeah, there are still some minor
inconveniences with cross-browser issues but with Laszlo in
particular they are absolutely ignorable. Laszlo spits out SWF files
that play in any Flash player from 5.0 forward, and because of the
Flash technology are guaranteed to work in any browser (since over
99% of them  have Flash plug-ins already installed).

Which brings me to the third major plus for Web apps: they just work
without the user having to download, install, configure or even know
about the application itself. A nice side effect: if the app needs
upgrading or fixing, you fix it one place and everyone gets it
without hassle or even necessarily being aware of it.

Until now, the biggest single drawback to Web apps -- at least in my
mind and that of many others -- has been the extremely limited and
limiting UI the browser affords. But with Laszlo in particular and
increasingly with AJAX, that limitation is disappearing.

Now, lest you conclude that I'm ready to chuck Rev in favor of Laszlo
or AJAX, let me assure you that isn't in the cards, at least not yet.
Because standalone apps still have some big advantages and of course
Rev adds to those with its rapid development capability for cross-
platform software. Standalone apps are still:

* generally faster than Web apps
* not dependent upon a reasonably fast Internet connection
* not dependent on a server "out there somewhere" being up and
running and not overloaded
* better looking with better user experiences (at least potentially)
* easier to protect against unauthorized use
* able to read and write data to and from the user's local drive
(which neither Laszlo nor AJAX can do, being confined in a security
sandbox)

So that's my take for the moment. I don't claim any of this to be
exhaustive, of course; there are lots of pros and cons of both kinds
of apps that I've omitted either because I can't think of them at the
moment or because I don't know about them at all.

We live in interesting times.

http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html