Question on message handling

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Wed Oct 12 15:22:04 EDT 2005

I guess I can't get away with claiming that this is a beginners
question. Been at it too long for that. But I  haven't worked much
with fields and so this is an elementary question on that subject.

I have a field in which  the lockText is false so I can type into the  field.

I have a card handler to respond to keyDown messages--the default in
the select script is pass keyDown.

What  puzzles me is that the card apparently gets the keyDown message
before the field does. That is exactly what I am looking for, but I
don't quite  see why. If I'm typing in a field, why doesn't the
field get the message before the card? Is that the priority that is
set when the text is not locked, i.e. card first, field last?

Jim