: Playing audio clips

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Tue Oct 11 20:02:48 EDT 2005

>Message: 13
>Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 08:42:26 -0700
>From: Scott Rossi <scott at tactilemedia.com>
>Subject: Re: : Playing audio clips
>To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>Recently, Jim Hurley  wrote:
>
>>  I'm having trouble getting started. Apparently the sound file
>>  cannot  be an imported sound file but  a referenced file on disk.
>>
>>  So, I find I can start the play  with:
>>
>>   Play "/Users/jameshurley/Desktop/myAudio.wav"
>>
>>  Now, where does the player come in?
>
>  set the fileName of player myPlayer to \
>     "/Users/jameshurley/Desktop/myAudio.wav"
>
>To pause:
>  set the paused of player myPlayer to true
>
>To check player status:
>  get the paused of player myPlayer
>

>>  How do I get the player to
>>  control the play? How does the player pause, change volume or speed
>>  of this sound file?
>
>See player properties such as:
>  duration (media length)
>  currentTime (current player position)
>  playRate (speed)
>  playLoudness (volume)
>

>Regards,
>
>Scott Rossi
>Creative Director
>Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design
>-

Thanks Scott. Just what I needed to get started.

New problem:  I have a scrollbar which I would like to use to  show
the progress of the player. I have tried the following:

on update
   set the thumbposition of scrollbar "duration" to the currenttime of
player myPlayer
   send "update" to me in 1 sec
end update

But the "Send" command momentarily interrupts the player and the
speech is bumpy. Is there an asynchronous way to iterate the update
without  using a "send" command?

Jim