[OT] Microsoft Office's New UI Blazes Some New Trails for Us

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Tue Oct 11 18:00:25 EDT 2005

I think the history of synthesizers is quite an interesting example
of what happens in the real world.

Back in late seventies, most synths had wonderful UIs (ie. lots of
single-function knobs and buttons).

Sequential Circuits (RIP) had noticed, even then, that 90% of the
synths returned for service had nothing but the factory presets in them.
Yamaha, having fallen behind in the synth market, had presumably
noticed the same thing, and in the early 80s, came up with the DX7,
which was a very complex synth, with a truly dreadful UI (a small
number of multi-function membrane switches, a slider, and a 2 line
LCD). However, it came with a bunch of really usable presets, (eg the
cheesy, tinkling faux electric-piano, still popular in 'smooth jazz'
today). It was, however, about half the price of the then current
generation of synths, and it sold like hot-cakes.

Sequential eventually responded with some very good products with
similar (though better) UIs. Sadly, they never got their presets very
good, and by '87 they were out of business, as were Oberheim and
Moog. To this day, the synth with the best (and greatest number) of
presets beats the competition. It's circular, of course, as most of
them are so hard to program, that few people have the time or
patience to bother, so the necessity for for good presets is obvious.

If even musicians (supposedly a creative bunch) aren't generally
willing to delve into creating their own sounds, then what can we
expect of the overworked and time-strapped office worker trying to
put  letters, presentations etc. together? It seems to me that as the
software gets more and more capable, it must, to some extent, get
more complex, and so this MS thing is both necessary and inevitable.

Cheers,

mark