Export Forced Line Break (soft returns) to XML

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Tue Oct 11 07:01:18 EDT 2005

At 11:31 PM -1000 10/10/2005, Sivakatirswami wrote:
># this is the key function which closes and opens a verse,
># or puts char(10) (soft return) after any line
># where x is the name of the song and y is each line in that song:
>
>  repeat for each line y in tVerses
>       if y is empty then
>         delete last char of tOutput
>         put   "</" & x &"_verses>"  & cr  &  "<" & x &"_verses>" after tOutput
>       else
>         put y & numTochar(10) after tOutput
>       end if
>end repeat
>
># then save a binfile to avoid line ending translation:
>
>   ask file "Enter an output filename."
>   put tOutput into url ("binfile:"& it)
>
>Opening this in BBedit with line translation off.. I get 1 line of data!

Sivakatirswami, I'm not sure what the problem is... this is what
you'd expect. Your script exports a file with no return characters,
so naturally  BBedit sees only one line... there *is* only one line.

I'm not sure but I think the problem may be that you misunderstand
the "CR" constant. It's a numToChar(10), not numToChar(13). I think
you want to be substituting "numToChar(13)" for cr:

   put   "</" & x &"_verses>"  & numToChar(13)  &  "<" & x &"_verses>"
after tOutput

if I'm correctly understanding what's going on in your script.
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com