Shell script to get shortcut's target on Win32?

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Sun Oct 9 00:18:10 EDT 2005

Hi,

Does anyone know how to write a shell script to get the target of a
shortcut on Windows?

I'm using the aliasReference command, but it returns an unusable file
name.  For example,

       the aliasReference of "C:\Documents and Settings/frank/My
Documents/My Pictures/1-originals/IMG_4668 copy 1.JPG.lnk"

returns

       "C:\DOCUME~1/frank/Desktop/Morrone/IMG_46~1.JPG"

which is quite unusable for my purposes.

Many thanks in advance,
-- Frank

p.s. Please copy me on any reply as I get the digest version which can
take a day or so to appear