Strange math behaviour... could someone explain this ?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Oct 8 21:18:24 EDT 2005

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> One man's "artifact" is another man's "bug". :)
>
> The original poster never specified that it was a Rev bug,

The *original* poster (jbv) didn't, but Jonathan (to whom I was
replying) did. At least, he said that Rev did this, and he said (in an
earlier email) that it was a software bug - so I claim that adds up to
saying it was a Rev bug.

> and you've shown that the anomaly lies outside of Rev.
>
> Computers are the servants of humans, not the other way around.

You wish !!

> If a computer system is designed in such a way that it no longer
> serves its masters faithfully by honoring things like the explicit
> order of exectution, it's commonly called a "bug", and it's usually up
> to another human to come in an fix it.
>
> Whether the fault lies with Rev or the microprocessor, the anwer of
> 179 is logically incorrect.  It may be understandable, but
> understanding why it's giving an incorrect answer doesn't change the
> answer. :)

You might get Rev to introduce a workaround (e.g. by changing the
effective meaning of trunc() to be "round at some ;eve; of precision
that will do what I *want*, and then truncate", as Mark suggested) - but
I fear that only leads to someone, some day in the future open a BZ to
say that Rev gets a different answer to the same calculation than 95% of
the installed base of  languages).

Bring BCD , that's what I say .... :-)