Stack Switching Question

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Oct 6 13:16:05 EDT 2005

Chipp-

> I, for one, hope it doesn't dissapear, as I use 'delete stack' quite
> often. It's the only sure-fire way to make sure a stack is closed, and
> I'd have to rewrite many, many stacks if it went away.

> It's unfortunately named, and could certainly use a better synonym. But
> it does 'delete a stack from memory' as it says. Once you get the hang
> of it, and know to never use it on subStacks, it's not too bad.

Well, it's the substack behavior here that is of primary concern. My
take of the BZ entry for this suggests two steps: the first would be
getting rid of the substack part of the "delete stack" command; and
the second would be the addition of a "purge stack" command to xTalk.
This is related to the BZ entry for the destroyStack property. If you
really need "delete stack" then I don't see a problem with deprecating
it for new stacks in favor of "purge stack" and having "purge stack"
alias to the existing behavior of "delete stack" (without the substack
badness, of course).

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net