IDE Strangeness

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 03:55:32 EDT 2005

On 10/3/05, Stephen Barncard <stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com> wrote:

> REV 2.6 - latest build OSX 10.3.9 Powerbook 17" 133
>
> I'm having a strange problem with the IDE. I'm working with MySQL and
> Trevor's DB library (both of which work fine) - but I'm getting
> unpredictable behavior in the IDE after hours of working out database
> subroutines and debugging (with the usual errors until one gets it
> right), and it seems to get worse with time, like a memory leak or
> something.

OK, no one's bothered to answer so I'll have a wild guess. One of the things
that you may be experiencing is if during your debugging you are constantly
sending requests for data to MySQL , ie opening a cursor, but the 'problem
area' of your code may be before you close the cursor. As such you could be
getting to the situation where you have many many cursors open. Next time it
happens use 'revDatabaseCursors' in the msg box to see how many are open -
if there are 165 then its not so much as a memory leak as a memory hijack;-)

You can use revCloseCursor to solve the problem.

In the Help Docs, Dictionary, Filter with: cursor should quickly get you to
the two for a better explanation.

The symptoms are mainly that, after time, and randomly, important IDE
> components such as the Inspector, the the Message Box, the
> Application Browser and the ERROR window will not be brought back to
> the front after an earlier dismissal.

Are yes, this is one manifestation of Rev's undocumented full featured SNARS
implementation. I've got to say Revs come a long way. It was abysmal in Rev
2.2 and only marginally useful in 2.5 but in 2.6 it is only on the odd
occasion that it does't kick in when it's suppose to.

HTH
Save Now And ReStart - or you'll regret it;-)