What is the difference between Msg Box window / Script Window / Field?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Oct 3 20:26:24 EDT 2005

On 10/3/05 3:08 PM, "Dave Calkins" <davecalk at intergate.com> wrote:

> Would you please elaborate on your thoughts as to why I might have
> problems with using some of these in a cross platform application.

No, not in a cross-platform application, but working with the scripts in
IDEs in multiple platforms. For example, if you use an old HyperCard
"option-L" character, this is ASCII 194 on Mac, but ASCII 172 in Windows. So
if you actually type the Option-L character in the script editor on a Mac,
then take the stack to Windows and open the script editor, it may very well
show the Windows character for ASCII 194 (a capital A with a circumflex over
it).

This, BTW, is also the reason not to use combination chars (like
greater-than-or-equal-to (option->) or not-equals (option-=) in scripts on
the Mac because when they get to windows they will be different characters
and may prevent your script from compiling.

You can use macToISO or ISOtoMac to help make the translation between
platforms in your *application*, but the scripts and how they are displayed
in Rev are up to Rev on the host platform (not you).

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com