What is the difference between Msg Box window / Script Window / Field?

Dave Calkins davecalk at intergate.com
Mon Oct 3 16:08:42 EDT 2005

On Oct 3, 2005, at 10:00 AM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
wrote:

> Technically, there's nothing different between them - they are both
> field
> objects. However what might be at work here is fonts - the message box
> may
> use a different font than the script editor and it is the font that
> determines how special characters are displayed.
>
> Personally, unless you're only delivering for one platform, I'd suggest
> *not* button high ASCII characters (or control characters) in a
> script, but
> rather use numToChar instead.

Thanks Ken,

I figured that the msg stack might be using a different font and
attempted to use a script to get access to the font being used, but
always came back with an error message. I have played with a ton of
different fonts trying to figure out which one it could be if it is
font related.

I have used the numToChar  in this instance, but  but for readability
issues, to save on typing  numToChar (12) ,  numToChar (14)  over and
over again, The chars as displayed in the msg box would be great for
proof reading scripts. I use these Chars because they are used in MS
Word for Page Break and Column Break (makes it easy to proof read,
spell check and grammar check  vast libraries of text that I use to
generate reports.)  etc. I thought it would be nice to insert one char
in a script rather than the 14 or so chars I now use and have to covert
to use in MS word for proofing text.. MS.doc files are cross compatible
so I thought I should be alright using these in cross compatible apps.
I have thought about using the File separator, Group separator, Record
separator, and Unit separator numToChar 28 - 31 as well.

Would you please elaborate on your thoughts as to why I might have
problems with using some of these in a cross platform application.

Thanks,

Dave Calkins