What is the difference between Msg Box window / Script Window / Field?

Dave Calkins davecalk at intergate.com
Mon Oct 3 04:22:33 EDT 2005

I have been working with some ASCII controls and found that while the
message box displays the controls  the Script window and fields do not.
Why is that? On the engine level, what is the difference between them.
I have a few speculative guesses, but nothing more.

on mouseUp
   put empty into fld "Other Data"
   put empty into fld "Field 1"
   put empty into msg
   repeat with c = 1 to 32
     put numtochar (c) into line 1 of fld "Other Data"
     get the htmltext of line 1 of fld "Other Data"
     put "NTC    "  &  c  & "   =  " &  numtochar (c) & "    HTMLtext
=  "  &  it  & cr after fld "Field 1"
     put "NTC    "  &  c  & "   =  " &  numtochar (c) & "    HTMLtext
=  "  &  it  & cr after msg
   end repeat

end mouseUp

The values displayed on 10.3.8 in the field or the script window just
show the generic place holding box while the message window displays
most of the actual characters.

It would be nice to see the actual characters in the scripting window.

Dave Calkins