Transparency and PNG format

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Tue Nov 29 17:16:06 EST 2005

Hi Graham,

I use a lot of PNG in my apps, plugins and stacks.
When a *correct* PNG is imported, transparency is always there
without any problem (I use Photoshop :-)
Then if you don't get the transparency, it does not seem to be a Rev
problem.
A trick in addition : if you want to have very lights images, first
you make a PNG, you install it into your stack at the right place and
then take a screenshot, crop it into any image processor and save it
as a compressed JPEG you will place exactly on your (JPEG too)
background :-)
The best way to minimise *static* images in any project.

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.

Le 29 nov. 05 à 23:05, graham samuel a écrit :

> Folks, I've got a number of small GIFs in an app, representing
> human figures - therefore not rectangular. I managed to give each
> one a transparent background and RR honours this when I import the
> GIFs as images (i.e. the background information on the card shows
> up around the shape of the figure).
>
> I've now started to using PNGs rather than GIFS, and I can give
> them transparent backgrounds in exactly the same way as the GIFs
> (GraphicConverter on the Mac is really good for this - a lot
> simpler than Photoshop Elements... but I digress). However when I
> import a PNG as an image, the transparency disappears and the
> figure therefore appears in a white rectangle. I can fix this with
> inks, but only on the Mac, and this app is destined for PC users
> mostly.
>
> I've looked at the docs, but I can't see a way of telling RR to use
> the transparency in a PNG. I see a bit about Alpha Channels, but I
> don't know if I'm using an Alpha Channel or not, and anyway I can't
> understand how RR deals with them. I can of course convert all my
> PNGs to GIFs, but is this the only solution? (This leads me to ask
> if is there any disadvantage to using GIFs over PNGs - I kind of
> thought there was, but I'm no longer sure why).

So Smart Software

Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62
Mobile        33 (0)6 20 74 50 86