Scope Problem on Standalones

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Nov 29 10:18:05 EST 2005

Hi,

Firstly many thanks to Dave Cragg for telling me about the problems
with the "answer" command. The documentation for the answer command
says this:

The prompt is a string (or any expression that evaluates to a
string). The dialog box expands if necessary to fit the contents.

However, this does not seem to be what happens in real life! In
reality the promt string is truncated (not sure at what size the
truncation takes place).

So when I added the answer command to debug the Standalone, they
would not work, even though the in the IDE the paths were displayed
correctly. (Because the path strings were shorter in the IDE??? or
becuase this bug only apprears in a Standalone? Anyone know?)

Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so how do they get around it?

The real problem was my fault, since I hadn't specifed a one of the
stacks in the Standalone Setting dialog. I would have found this in
10 minutes if I hadn't been fooled by the answer command not working
as documented.

Thanks to everyone who helped on this and especially to Dave!

All the Best
Dave