to sort system date in a list, and special effect with sliders (XP)

gaich software service service at gaich.de
Tue Nov 29 09:34:15 EST 2005

Hello all of this very helpful list,

I am a consultant and supporter of a well known ERP-Software in germany.
Since 6 months I am programming tools for that ERP-System and I do it
with revolution.
I think this was the best idea I've ever had.
My customers are very happy to get the tools they need in a very short
time and for a low price.

Until now I wasn't an active user of this list, because my english isn't
very good, as you see.

I have a question about date sort in a list. Because my customers are
german, they want to see the german date format (system date).
Is there a way to sort a list by an item that contains a system date?

I wrote a little function for this problem:

function sortContainerBySystemDate pContainer, pItemToSort, pSortOrder
    local
nOL

    local nOI
    local x

    if (pContainer is empty) or (pItemToSort is not a number) or
(pItemToSort < 1) then
        put empty into sortedContainer
        return sortedContainer
        exit sortContainerBySystemDate
    end if

    set the itemDel to tab
    put the number of lines of pContainer into nOL
    put the number of items of line 1 of pContainer into nOI

    if nOL < 2  or nOI < pItemToSort then
        put  pContainer into sortedContainer
        return sortedContainer
        exit sortContainerBySystemDate
    end if

    repeat for each line x in pContainer
        convert item pItemToSort of x from system date to seconds
    end repeat

    if pSortOrder = 1 then
        sort lines of pContainer descending numeric by item pItemToSort
of each
    else
        sort lines of pContainer ascending numeric by item pItemToSort
of each
    end if

    repeat for each line x in pContainer
        convert item pItemToSort of x from seconds to system date
    end repeat

    put pContainer into sortedContainer

    return sortedContainer
end sortContainerBySystemDate

It works for me. But may be there is a better and shorter way to do that!?

Another Problem:

Because my costumers are working on windows machines, they have very
different Versions (98,2000,XP).
I'm programming on a windows XP with Classic Style for Windows and gadgets.
I did a tool that contains sliders and it works fine.
I installed it on a customers machine with XP and XP Style. I was scared
-- the knop of the slider was not there and there was no way to do
anything with the slider.
When I turned the Style to Classic on that machine, the knob was there
again. But the employee wants to have the XP Style, hmmm.

Is this a well known effect and is there a possible solution?

Puuhhh, it takes longer time to write this little english text then to
programm a little tool with Revolution :-)

Best,
Günter

*gaich software service
Günter Gaich