About bugs (was This is what REALLY SUCKS about RunRev! - was Menubar Help)

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Nov 29 08:13:22 EST 2005

>On 11/24/05 5:51 PM, David Burgun wrote:
>>Hi Eric,
>>
>>I always do try to reproduce the problem etc. In this case though
>>it really is a bug, if not in the menu handling, then else where in
>>RunRev.
>>
>>There was a Group in the Place Groups Sub-Menu that was not listed
>>in any stack/card in the apps browser. When selected it placed a
>>BLOB in the stack window that could not be selected, however, when
>>selected from the apps browser window, it could be deleted. Once
>>this was done it worked.
>>
>>There was no code that could cause this type of problem, just the
>>scripts generated by Auto-Script, e.g. a menuPick and empty case
>>statement, and besides that, the problem was that the menu did not
>>get moved into the Application menu. No code was needed for this to
>>occur.
>
>You know, of course, that it is perfectly legal to have a group that
>is not placed on any card, right? You can have any number of groups
>that behave that way. This is not a bug. As a matter of fact,
>imported HyperCard stacks always have at least one or more unplaced
>groups that contain various HyperCard resources. I see these all the
>time.
>
>One way to accidentally create an unplaced group is to group an
>object and then delete the card it is on. Deleting the card does not
>delete the groups that are on it, and you now have unplaced groups.

Ok, thanks for the info, in this case, the stack only had 1 card and
it was present in the stack/App Browser

>You don't say what the "blob" was. The last "blob" I saw in one of
>my stacks was an imported image that was not in a Rev-friendly
>format. Re-saving the image as a regular .jpg and re-importing it
>fixed the "blob".

The BLOB, (I've had this before, but it didn't cause a problem (I
think!)), was a dimmed rectangle that appeared in the middle of the
stack when placed, it has some garbage text in it, I couldn't select
it by clicking on it in the stack window, but could select it in the
App Browser and Use the Clear command to Delete it.

Once I did this, the menu started working correctly.

>If the menu did not appear as the application menu, then there was
>something wrong with the structure of the menu group. Others have
>addressed this and suggested things to look for. It doesn't sound
>like your "blob" was supposed to be the menu group, as you would
>have named it more sensibly.

That is correct. The Menu Group was present in the Stack and looked
fine when inspected. However, the Group would not install in the menu
bar until the "garbage" group was placed and deleted and the stack
saved.

>So, it sounds like there were two problems: the first was an
>unrelated, unplaced group, and the second was a (different) menu
>group that was structurally unsound. Or at least, that's as much as
>I can assemble from your description, not having seen the stack.

Sounds about right. The thing was that before I did this, I had a
menu group setup and per the documentation, but the Prefs menu item
would NOT get moved into the Applications menu, however all the other
menus worked fine, and you could select "Preferences" in the edit
menu and it would work ok, the "Preferences" in the apps menu was
present, but disabled. Then (as a suggestion from this list), I
created a new one, copied+pasted the scripts from the old one,
deleted the old one and renamed the new one to the same name as the
old one, e.g. I had MainMenu showing in card 1 in the app browser,
then I made a TempMenu, then deleted MainMenu then renamed TempMenu
to MainMenu.

When I ran this, the Menu Bar stop appearing and the menu was along
the top of the stack, then I noticed, placed and deleted the garbage
group and it worked.

Hope this clarifies what happened.

All the Best
Dave