Referencing a variable?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sun Nov 27 22:23:39 EST 2005

On 11/27/05 7:44 PM, "Ian Leigh" <ianl at mac.com> wrote:

> Many thanks Alex for giving me this solution. I don't understand why
> it will only work with the do command. If you try exactly the same
> command normally it doesn't work, why is that?

Well, because when you say:

  put 123 into "buffer"

Rev immediately sees "buffer" as a string, not a variable, and therefore
can't "put" anything into it, and so you can't compile the script.

And if you do:

  put 123 into value("buffer")

Rev can't compile this either because the value of the string "buffer" is
"buffer" and the script compiler doesn't understand that this is supposed to
be a variable.

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software